As pressure grows for councils and other public sector bodies to reduce emissions, suppliers with Carbon Reduction Plans (CRPs) have a competitive advantage over those without.
The UK has a legal commitment to achieve ‘Net Zero’ carbon emissions by 2050. Suppliers wishing to work with the public sector need to be prepared to help the UK Government achieve this goal.
The requirement for CRPs was introduced in 2021, and ensures central government contracts over £5m are awarded to suppliers with a commitment to sustainability. While they are not a requirement for lower value tenders, they will help you score higher points for commitment to Social Value.
You only need to create a plan once, then publish it publicly and update it annually. As this is a major commitment for your business, our experts can help make sure you get it right.
There are specific guidelines for creating a CRP, and we will support you to include all the required details:
- Confirmation of your commitment to achieving Net Zero by 2050 for your UK operations
- Provision of current emissions for the sources included in Scope 1 (gas) and 2 (electricity) of the GHG Protocol, and a defined subset of Scope 3 (transport, commute, waste) emissions
- Provision of emissions reporting in CO2e (Carbon Dioxide Equivalent) for the six greenhouse gases covered by the Kyoto Protocol4
- Ensuring your key differentiators are prominent throughout the response
- Details of environmental management measures in effect, including certification schemes or specific carbon reduction measures the supplier has adopted, and will be applied when delivering the contract to support achieving Net Zero by 2050
- Approval from the board of directors (or equivalent management body) within 12 months of the date of the procurement
- Confirmation the CRP has been published correctly
- Comply to requirements for contracts worth over £5m
- Gain a competitive advantage
- Showcase commitment to achieving net zero
The price depends on the support required. We try to be as flexible as possible with prices to allow you access to support. Overall price for the project is always agreed up front so there are never any surprises.