Description of the goods or services required
This invitation to tender sets out the requirements for tender and the appointment of a Contractor at the Bishop’s Park, Old Bishop’s Palace, Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, SA31 2JG (NGR SN441209) for 1) Building Conservation Works and is prepared by the Tywi Gateway Trust (the Client) in association with Acanthus Holden Architects.
The works in this contract will address the following:-
• The Walled Kitchen Garden walls are to be conserved, with damaged sections repaired and repointing where required. The two doorways will be repaired to enable level access through them.
• The early 19th century Bothy, or Cottage Ornee, will be conserved and repaired externally for use as volunteer area and workshop.
• The doorway through to St David’s churchyard will be repaired and access re-instated.
• The restoration of the ha-ha repointing and restoring damaged sections
• Construction of a ramp to enable pedestrian access and wheelchair access from the gardens to the Great Meadow parkland path.
Situated in the settlement of Abergwili, immediately to the east of Carmarthen, the Bishop’s Park lies directly to the south of the A40 trunk road and comprises part of the original grounds of the Old Palace of the Bishops of St Davids. On the site of a college established by Bishop Beck in the 1280s the Bishop’s Palace was the episcopal residence from the 16th century through to its vacation by the Bishops in 1974. The Old Palace and the formal gardens were bought by Carmarthenshire County Council to house the County museum and the grounds were opened as a public park.
The Trust’s principal activity, in the first instance, is the delivery of the National Lottery Heritage Fund supported Tywi Gateway Project. This project will conserve, restore and re-invigorate the nationally important Bishop’s Park and Old Bishop’s Palace outbuildings, working with the local community and project collaborators Carmarthenshire County Council and the Representative Body of the Church in Wales to create an education and interpretation centre and café, providing opportunities for sustainable income streams to support the long-term management and maintenance of the site.
NOTE: To register your interest in this notice and obtain any additional information please visit the Sell2Wales Web Site at https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/Search/Search_Switch.aspx?ID=96938.
The buyer has indicated that it will accept electronic responses to this notice via the Postbox facility. A user guide is available at https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/sitehelp/help_guides.aspx.
Suppliers are advised to allow adequate time for uploading documents and to dispatch the electronic response well in advance of the closing time to avoid any last minute problems.