Description of the goods or services required
Expert to convene a local group of stakeholders (Urbact Local Group) to support the REMIX project funded through EU URBACT Programme
Birmingham City Council’s European and International (E&I) Team are looking for an expert to convene a local group of stakeholders (Urbact Local Group) to support the REMIX project funded through EU URBACT Programme.
Background: REMIX is a network of 7 cities from 7 different European countries (Lodz, Birmingham, Baena, Braga, Bologna, Zagreb and Toulouse) looking to improve regeneration practices in their respective areas. More information about the project and its challenges: https://urbact.eu/three-pronged-approach-successful-regeneration
BCC’s E&I are looking to commission a 12-month expert to:
• Convene a local group of stakeholders involved/interested/impacted by spatial and economic planning of North Edgbaston Ward area. This group needs to be made of BCC’s area relevant officers (Planning, Policy, Parks, Culture Development, Parks, etc.), representatives of community organisations, community members and other relevant stakeholders. The Terms of Reference of this group is to look at North Edgbaston area (Edgbaston Reservoir, B16) and analyse the case of the recent work on the Edgbaston Reservoir Master Plan as well as draw conclusions from the exercise (lessons learned) and inform policy/practice on the city level by co-designing a workshop with Pioneering Wards and working with the BCC’s Project Coordinator to feed back to the relevant BCC’s teams;
• Mediate and facilitate communication between Birmingham City Council’s teams and community initiatives;
• Organise 12 meetings (one meeting per month) with the a/m group of local stakeholders;
• Design agendas, taking notes and jointly facilitate the meetings with the Project’s Coordinator;
• Co-design an action plan for the group and contribute to the Project’s Transfer Plan,
• Co-design and deliver a workshop with Pioneering Wards aiming to inform BCC’s policies linked to the Localism Agenda (planning, consultation, contracting opportunities for community led businesses and organisations, etc.)
• Offer an on-going support to the community business EAT+MAKE+PLAY – map out physical assets and economic/funding opportunities, liaise with local stakeholders and support the organisation of future events led by EAT+MAKE+PLAY.
Required skills and experience:
1. extensive knowledge of North Edgbaston area, its assets and development opportunities from both spatial and economic perspective (including sharing economy),
2. deep knowledge of local community (North Edgbaston and Ladywood) – expert needs to be well embedded in the local community, know local resident associations and other third sector community organisations (preferable resident in B16 or proven track record of delivering similar contracts in the area);
3. demonstrate knowledge of social economy and track record of supporting community-led enterprises;
4. good facilitation skills and experience and track record in convening public meetings;
5. mediation skills, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate between different stakeholder groups with often conflicting interests;
6. good organisational skills and excellent writing skills.
Documents submitted for this tender need to demonstrate:
1. Track record of working in similar capacity, preferably funded through the EU;
2. Skills required;
3. Methodology chosen for designing the Action Plan and initial ideas on partnership working;
4. Budget allocation;
5. Local attachment – proof of address or proof of similar work conducted in B16 area;
6. Social value expected from this contract – please demonstrate what social impact on the area you are planning to make through this work.