Description of the goods or services required
The Institute of Education (IOE) building of 20 Bedford Way is extremely tired, and an agreement at merger with UCL was for investment into the building to ensure it is fit for work and study, and an appropriate space to reflect the world-leading status of the IOE faculty and of UCL. The state of the building has lent an additional urgency to this work, to ensure health and safety standards and staff and student wellbeing.
The IOE Masterplan sets out, in multiple phases, a clear strategy for improving the quality of the existing accommodation at 20 Bedford Way and rectifying the inherent safety and infrastructure problems with the building. Phase 1 of the Masterplan was completed in May 2019, this tender relates to Phase 2 of the Masterplan and will deliver the following:
• Refurbishment of an additional 25% of the building (cumulative being 35% when added to the 10% within phase 1)
• Remediation of asbestos in the proposed works areas.
• 100% replacement of the existing fire alarm system with new and holding works to retained life safety systems until phase 3.
• 100% replacement of the infrastructure in Cores A and B and the accommodation being refurbished in and around Core A and the Wing.
• An additional 1,871sqm of refurbished, high-quality workspace, with 223sqm meeting space.
• Refurbished lift cores with new sanitary facilities to all levels providing an additional 173sqm toilets / 14% increase.
• Refurbished Lawton Room for staff and students with a dedicated staff social area.
• Improved security and wayfinding to new staff areas.
• Refurbished and improved Entrance Area to the building across levels 3 & 4
• Refurbished workspaces will create a comfortable working environment, with improved air quality, temperature control, good acoustics and noise separation from the external environment.