Description of the goods or services required
The University of Cambridge is approaching the market to engage with potential suppliers for the provision of an Education Space Scheduling & Modelling Solution
The University of Cambridge is one of the world's oldest universities and leading academic centres, and a self-governed community of scholars. Its reputation for outstanding academic achievement is known worldwide, and reflects the intellectual achievement of its students, as well as the world-class original research carried out by the staff of the University and the Colleges.
The University is a confederation of 31 Colleges and over 150 Departments, Faculties, Schools and other institutions, and is home to more than 18,000 students from all walks of life and all corners of the world, and over 11,000 staff. The mission of the University is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning, and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Education Space Scheduling & Modelling (ESSM) project will enable the University, its Schools, Faculties and Departments to:
• Timetable teaching and exams more easily and efficiently;
• Schedule activities into space more easily and efficiently
• Gather and analyse data on the use of space efficiently and accurately
• Model the use of education space across the estate in order to support informed strategic decisions about estate development.
The project will improve the scheduling and timetabling processes by procuring a software system, implementation and ongoing support – the ESSM tool – to automate one part of it, namely the allocation of rooms (and, in some cases, times) to teaching events. The same system will also permit modelling.
Secondary benefits of the ESSM tool are expected to include:
• Integration with room booking. The ESSM tool will enable automatic booking of rooms in Booker.
• Timetable publishing. It is expected that the ESSM tool will have the capacity to publish timetables for students and staff, either within the solution or by integration with other systems across the University.
The ESSM tool will include the following capabilities to ensure maximum flexibility for the University:
• Import data and export data using agreed formats.
• Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to enable easy integration with other University systems.